The Panagia is the oldest of the two main churches, built in the second half of the 10th century. It was probably decorated with frescoes, but hardly anything remains and with its plain stone walls it feels a bit of an anticlimax after the magnificence of the katholikon.
In the exhibition room next to the Panagia Church in addition to Osios Loukas’s cell there is a space between the floors that was used either as a ‘hidden school’ to teach children to read and write Greek or to hide them from the Paidomazoma (Tur: Devshirme) during Ottoman rule in Greece. Paidomazoma was the Ottoman practice of kidnapping Christian boys to recruit soldiers and bureaucrats to the Sultan’s service.
Here are some more views of the monastery’s buildings:
These wonderful arches form a series of flying buttresses between the katholikon and the old refectory:
Here’s the rear of the katholikon (on the left) and the rear of the Church of the Panagia (right):
The dome of the katholikon behind the drum of the Panagia:
Drum of the Panagia:
The original monastery entrance gate:
Exterior of the Panagia church:
An old outbuilding:
The monastery’s ancient cistern:
A quite corner in the grounds:
Cannot resist a good door:
Finally on the terrace in front of the monastery there is a monument to Archbishop Isaïas Salomon who with his brother Gaga-Giannis died fighting the Turks at Khalomata on 23 April 1821 (ie at the start of the Greek Revolution against Ottoman rule). In this monastery, which the monument refers to as the base of the Revolution, he also blessed the weapons of the revolutionary fighters.
Osios Loukas is a beautiful place: it has an aura of calm and peace from the concentrated prayers and meditation of all the monks who have lived and worshipped here over the past 1,000 years.